Thursday 28 November 2013

Dragons concepts

I had an idea last night about my dragons - That there would be different sizes of dragons for each region (small, med, large and Titan).

Small - the most common species of dragons are the smaller variety. These are the kinds of dragons young children would be around to start with due to them being very friendly and playful.
Average - Average sized dragons are more intelligent than that of the Small dragons and are often used has household pets. These dragons are the kind to help with tasks, such as hunting.
Large - The rideable dragons of Tomara, Large dragon species are more commonly used for travel and combat. However, due to their large sizes and short temperments, these dragons are ridden and tamed by only the most proven of riders.
Titan - So far, there are four Titans, one for each clan. These dragons are destructive and dangerous, the most deadly in all of Tomara. Due to their great sizes, they are found only in the larger areas of their habitats.
Many have gone after the Titans. None have returned.


 I dived straight into drawing a couple of head designs to give me a better idea of the differences of each dragon race.

Fire - classic dragons
Air - bird/reptile hybrids
Water - deep sea fish based
Earth - dinosaur like





As stated above, my Earth typed dragons are based on Dinosaurs so I did more research on different types of dinosaurs.




I did a few basic designs for the dragons of the Earth and Forests.
None have wings due to the fact that they'd live in quite dense tree life, making wings more of a hinderance than a benefit.













Next up are Sky Dragons, the mix of bird and reptile.




The Sky dragons, completely opposite to the Forest Dragons, utilize their wings to the max.
Rather than scales, they'd be majoricaly covered with down, to maintain body temperature and resist the storms should they encounter one.













To the deep deep sea for the Aqua Dragons designs.


These dragons would be scaly, slimy, and some of them slightly see through like some of the fish I looked at here.

And now for the Classic Magma Dragons





I looked at Asian dragons too because when I think of Classic Dragons, I think of the ones that everyone thinks of pretty fast (European and Wyvern). I read a lot of dragon books when I was younger and Asian dragons were often included. I class them as Classic because I grew up with them as much as any other dragon in stories when I was younger.















No comments:

Post a Comment